History of Kingsdown

History

There has been a Methodist Church on this site for 100 years serving the community. Part of our current building dates from 1928 when the Moullin Memorial Church replaced the 1908 dual-purpose hall.

In September 1959 Kingsdown was formed by the amalgamation of the Moulin Memorial Church, Northfields, and the West Ealing Church. At this time the Minister was the  Rev. Frank Reedman.

 

The West Ealing site which was at the junction  of Uxbridge Road and Bedford Road was sold and the money used to build Kingsdown. Only the 4 walls and roof of the old Church  were left. The tower was taken down and a new vestibule was built.  The gallery was removed, the front wall and pulpit was brought forward by about 3ft and new vestries were built.  The organ was rebuilt and repositioned.

 

All of the auxiliary buildings were pulled down and replaced by a suite of new buildings. During this time the Sunday School was held in the Northfield Community Centre. 

 

At the time of the opening of the premises the Minister was the Rev. George Howarth.  The new hall and ancillary rooms were opened by Mrs Vera Reedman on Saturday, 15th September, 1962 and the Church by Mr E Gilbert, Secretary of the Trustees,  on Saturday, 16th February, 1963 .

 

We have since made the rear of the premises into a sports arena which was opened by the then England Football Manager, Walter Winterbottom.

 

In 1975 we altered the kitchen, minister’s vestry and added the Russell Room, so called as the majority of the work was financed by a gift from the late Miss Russell, a member of the Church.

 

Following on from George Howarth we have had the Rev. John Crouch, who unfortunately died whilst in office and until a new Minister was appointed the Rev. Lesley Webb deputized.  From then on we have had the Rev. Eric Maynard, Rev. Denis Dobell, Rev. Jack Roberts, Rev. David Holland, Rev. Cecil Smith and now Rev. Roger Dunlop.

 

During George Howarth’s time we became a stewardship church and have remained so ever since.   

The Kingsdown premises have always been a busy and lively place with a varied programme of  community activities for all ages, some of which continue today, such as Girl Guides, Brownies and Boys’ Brigade.  Others, for various reasons, no longer continue to meet, such as the Drama Group, the Wives’ Club, the Men’s Group the After Eight Club, Kingsdown Amateur Theatre Company (commonly known as KATCo), but other activities have taken their place and those who attend Kingsdown, whether it be for the Sunday worship or for the midweek activities are the people who make up the Kingsdown family. 


Printer Printable Version