Kingsdown History

There has been a Methodist presence on the corner of Kingsdown Avenue for 100 years! The original dual-purpose hall of 1908 was replaced by The Moullin Memorial Church in 1928. In September 1959 Kingsdown was formed by the amalgamation of the Moulin Memorial Church and the West Ealing Church (on the junction of Uxbridge and Bedford Roads). At this time the Minister was the Rev. Frank Reedman. Money from the West Ealing site was used to build Kingsdown. Using the original shell of the building a new sanctuary was modelled. The tower was taken down and a new vestibule was built. The gallery was removed, the front wall and pulpit was brought forward by about 3ft and new vestries were added. The organ was rebuilt and repositioned.

All of the auxiliary buildings were pulled down and replaced by a suite of new buildings. During this time the Sunday School was held in the Northfield Community Centre. At the time of the opening of the premises the Minister was the Rev. George Howarth. The new hall and ancillary rooms were openedby Mrs Vera Reedman on Saturday, 15th September, 1962 and the Church by Mr E Gilbert, Secretary of the Trustees, on Saturday, 16th February, 1963.

We have since made the rear of the premises into a sports arena which was opened by the then England Football Manager, Walter Winterbottom. In 1975 we altered the kitchen, minister's vestry and added the Russell Room, so called as the majority of the work was financed by a gift from the late Miss Russell, a member of the Church.

Following on from George Howarth we have had the Rev. John Crouch, who unfortunately died whilst in office and until a new Minister was appointed the Rev. Lesley Webb deputized. From then on we have had the Rev. Eric Maynard, Rev. Denis Dobell, Rev. Jack Roberts, Rev. David Holland, Rev. Cecil Smith, Rev. Roger Dunlop,
  Rev. Peter Catford, Rev. Chrissie Howe, Rev. Rachel Bending, Associate Pastor Penny Pedley and now Rev. Susan Male 

Our church is celebrating the completion of Phase One of a major redevelopment. The Northfields Avenue end of the premises has been remodelled to create two meeting rooms, new coffee point and upgraded toilet and cloakroom facilities. The focal point is a 6m high cross and the changes have dramatically altered the public perception of the church. Phase 2 will include essential work on access and facilities in the community rooms on the east side of the church. 

Whilst the buildings may have been changed the Church Family has always been an active part of the local community where we work with spirit, dedication and enthusiasm. This has always been a busy and lively place with a varied programme of activities for all ages. These have included oner the years a Drama Group, the Wives' Club, the Men's Group the After Eight Club, Kingsdown Amateur Theatre Company. Other activities have taken their place and we currently have Girl Guides, and Boys' Brigade, a Babies & Toddlers Club, Home Groups, Charity Book Fairs and twice weekly Coffee Mornings. Capital Chorus (London's premier Barbershop Harmony Club) meet on our premises together with The Splash & Dash Playgroup and Strength and Balance Classes.

With many nationalities represented in our congregation we are proud to be part of the World Church and support mission and development projects through Christian Aid, All We Can (Methodist Relief and Development Fund), Junior Mission for All and Network. Methodist Homes and Action for Children are further charities we support annually.

So with God's help, we aim to form a worshipping, witnessing and caring community in which all may be supported as they grow in faith, and may use their individual talents to bring about God's Kingdom, locally and in the wider world.

Printer Printable Version